Monday, January 04, 2010

The $2500 TV


We still do not have an HDTV (digital TV) and are not in a major hurry to get one. Here is an observation, however, as I watch the prices.

Years ago, you could always assume that the computer you really wanted would cost about $2000. It didn't seem to matter what the cost of the low end or the high end computer was, the one you really wanted would cost about $2000. This took into account the compromises in latest gadgets, etc.

I've noticed that in the last 2 years or so, the HDTV I would want always seems to cost about $2500. Originally it was because HD was so new, then it was because of the size, then the technology. Why this time? It's the LEDs.

Samsung has a back-lit LED HDTV which has better blacks, sharper color, faster refresh rates, etc. Tie this together with great technology and... $2500

Next, I suspect, will be OLED (Organic LED) rather than LCD. Or maybe laser...

I think I'll keep my old set until it breaks.

No comments: