Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Leaving Christ on the Cross

One of the things about the crucifix that bothered those in the church that I grew up in was the fact that it "left Christ on the Cross".

This was also a valid claim about movies (and musicals) such as "Jesus Christ Superstar" and "Godspell".

At the same time, I am surprised how many people I listen or talk to leave Christ on the cross without meaning to do so.  What do I mean?  It is quite easy to talk about Christ's death without talking about his resurrection.  It is quite easy to remember the sacrifice without the miracle of resurrection that MUST accompany the sacrifice for it to mean anything.

The way I understand the story of redemption in the New Testament, one of those acts would be inconsequential without the other.

Notice that Christ was crucified with two other men.  A frequent occurrence in the Roman Empire at the time.

What is unusual about the story is, as those around me growing up pointed out, Christ not only died but rose from the dead, proving he is God.

No comments: