Saturday, March 01, 2008

JackPot !!!

A little over a year ago, I remember writing this, dreaming about winning that elusive lottery jackpot and believing, at least in my own head, that I would give most away. I was also wondering if the reason that that doesn't happen is that God knows my heart.



I may have a different (and less condemning) reason. While I was listening to the Bible being read yesterday, I heard Leviticus 22-23 and heard this in 22:17-20...



And the Lord said to Moses, “Give Aaron and his sons and all the Israelites these instructions, which apply both to native Israelites and to the foreigners living among you.

“If you present a gift as a burnt offering to the Lord, whether it is to fulfill a vow or is a voluntary offering, you will be accepted only if your offering is a male animal with no defects. It may be a bull, a ram, or a male goat. Do not present an animal with defects, because the Lord will not accept it on your behalf."


As much as some of us hate to admit it, lottery winnings are a "male animal with defects". It is money I would not have earned by working for it and, if it were considered a "gift", it was not worked for, it was gained under somewhat dubious pretenses. As of today, the Powerball jackpot is 153 million. That much money could do a lot of good but is, I believe, not a sacrifice that the Lord would want.

No comments: