Sunday, August 20, 2006

Dancing like David....

This entry has been several years in the making...

Years ago, the church we attended, regularly sang a song called "David Danced". The lyrics went like this.
When the spirit of the Lord
moves upon my heart
I will dance like David danced
When the spirit of the Lord
moves upon my heart
I will dance like David danced

I will dance, I will dance
I will dance, like David danced
I will dance, I will dance
I will dance, like David danced

This summer, we had listened to a message series at church called "21", one of the messages was titled "Party".

This morning, I happened to be listening to a track from Yonder Mountain String Band and started wondering what made them the next in the generation of Jam Bands along with Phish and String Cheese Incident that are gaining popularity since The Grateful Dead are now without Jerry Garcia?

While wikipeda explains the Jam Band as mostly improvisational, I think that teams with the ability of the audience to become uninhibited (some chemically induced) because without their audience or fans, the band doesn't have a reason to be.

I wonder if that is some of our problem in the church... Here we have an all powerful God that we "worship" but our worship is inhibited. Unlike David who stripped down to his underwear (ok, the Old Testament version -- his ephod) we let those around us, or impressions of those around us, determine our actions and depth of worship. In 2002, an article by Mark Buchanan was published in Christianity Today called "Dance of the Godstruck". The article talks about Uzzahs attempt to bring home the Ark from the conquerors and Davids success at the same task. It is well worth reading.

The final paragraph reads:
David was that kind of man. Where his fretful priest and his scornful wife could only see a gilded box and frenzied crowd, he could see God. The temptation is to think men like David, at such moments, are half-crazy, not fully engaged with reality. The truth is that precisely at such moments they are the ones who truly see.

I suspect that if we were to truly worship like David did, freely and uninhibited, those in the world around us would be much more attracted to our God.

In his series on "Wired for Worship", Mark Batterson (TheaterChurch) has the following key points in 2 different messages (it has been a while since I listened so I don't remember which ones).
...if you aren’t willing to look foolish you’re foolish.
and
“If God doesn’t exist then worship is insanity. You’re worshipping someone that isn’t real. But if God exists then nothing is more logical or reasonable than worship.”

Matt Redman wrote a song called "Undignified" about the same incident with David, it's lyrics read.
i will dance i will sing to be mad for my king
nothing lord is hindering the passion in my soul
i will dance i will sing to be mad for my king
nothing lord is hindering the passion in my soul

(chorus)
and ill become even more undignified than this
some would say its foolishness but
ill become even more undignified than this
some would say its foolishness

No comments: