Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Shaken and Stirred...


I went to bed Monday night emotionally shaken. I started investigating somthing called the "Authorized Version Only" movement.

It started as feedback to the question of "What Bible should I use?". Someone told about all versions but the King James being bad based upon a book by Gail Riplinger called New Age Bible Versions.

Beliving her premise to be wrong, I went on a hunt for some information, finding this on-line article by James White called "Why Respond to Gail Riplinger". We now have dueling credentials, Phd. vs. Phd.

So, what left me shaken? I read the James White article and, if his claims are true, admire his determination to stand against the "New Age Bible Versions" book. That is not, however, what effected my sleep for the last few nights.

I saw how God had protected me from this sort of thinking from early in my college days. You see, the campus organization that I was a part of was not associated but was aligned with much of Mrs. Riplingers thinking.

More to come about this tomorrow.

1 comment:

kwilson said...

You mention PHD vs PhD. Well, not really. Did you noticed what the lady's PhD is in? She did all her college work in home economics! Not that there is anything wrong with this per se, but it is certainly no more a qualification to comment on Bible translation that it is to do brain surgery. James White, on the other hand, has a degree in the area and is an expert in NT Greek.

Lastly, whenever anyone hauls out this silliness about the NKJV, they need to be reminded that it is still just a translation. There is only one real NT and that is the Greek NT. Why are they not reading that if they are concerned about accuracy? This usually ends the discussion abruptly...

I am not advocating the Greek NT only, but this certainly makes their entire premise silly.