I see that you are still here...
Through much of the reading I have been doing and a lot of what I have been observing lately a large question looms....
What does your political stance have to do with your religion?
A little background. Way back.
If you read the New Testament there are two standout verses which talk about your Christianity and Politics.
First is the incident in Matthew where Jesus is asked whether to pay taxes or not... His reply was to give the government what it is due.
The second is in Romans where Paul talks about citizenship both here on earth and spiritually.
In much of the evangalical circles, politics serves as a BIG issue. I was told by a friend to "Vote for Bush because he is 'Gods' choice" (paraphrase). It seems that, depending on the culture of the church you are in you are not holy enough if you are not a _________:
- African-American church - Democrat
- White church - Republican
Do you think we are taking Paul's warning to heart?
Romans 13:11-14 (The Message)
But make sure that you don't get so absorbed and exhausted in taking care of all your day-by-day obligations that you lose track of the time and doze off, oblivious to God. The night is about over, dawn is about to break. Be up and awake to what God is doing! God is putting the finishing touches on the salvation work he began when we first believed. We can't afford to waste a minute, must not squander these precious daylight hours in frivolity and indulgence, in sleeping around and dissipation, in bickering and grabbing everything in sight. Get out of bed and get dressed! Don't loiter and linger, waiting until the very last minute. Dress yourselves in Christ, and be up and about!
Before jumping to conclusions, however, let me state my thoughts.
- Every political stance will typically have it's positives and negatives... My job is to determine the best position for ME (not you) to take.
- I am to be involved in the political process by voting, voicing my opinion etc.
- I am not, however, to let politics control or define my relationship with God.
- There are more important things than politics in this world.
- God has things under control!