Evan Almighty is a movie about a newly elected US Senator who get's called by God to build an Ark. Like many of those that are called, he is understandably skeptical. As he get's closer to completing the ark, however, he gets sold out for the task given him. If you are expecting solid doctrine, you will be disappointed. If you are looking for a feel good movie, this will not disappoint.
The sermon series, "Shoddy", is about the book of Malachi, the last book of the Old Testament. Malachi is sent to the people of Israel who were living shoddy lives. To God at that time, it means people who are doing all the right things but are not living the life God really has for them.
Why do I see the connection? In Evan Almight, Evan is asked to do something which is totally crazy. Ignore is duties to the country and build an Ark. As Evan settles down to the task, those around him mock him, he becomes a media freak show. You will, however, need to watch the movie to get the full story.
Throughout the Old Testament, God asks his prophets to perform actions that one person called "little dramas" to get the attention of the people around them. Unwilling to live "shoddy" lives, they do those things, many times, questioning God at the same time. What were some of those actions?
- Isaiah was asked to walk around naked for 3 years to illustrate the shame Israel would feel in captivity.
- Hosea was asked to marry a prostitute and later, buy her back out of slavery to illustrate God's forgiveness for Israel (the prostitute).
- Jonah lived out a drama showing God's forgiveness when he was asked to go to Ninivia to warn them to repent.
- How would I react if God asks me to do something unusual?
- How would those around me react if I start to follow what God asks?