Thursday, July 13, 2006

My Job Description?

In high school, the Army came in and gave us a test to tell us what sort of job we may get if we joined the armed services. I was a "clerical".

Many people know this but.... I started my college career as a music major. Not just a music major but a "French Horn" major. I soon realized that I was not talented or dedicated enough to perform and I didn't want to teach. Hmm.... What was left?

Let's try Engineering! While taking core courses there I found what I wanted to do for the rest of my life (I think).... Computer Science. A side note here. Once you get into the real world, you find that while there is a lot of science involved in computers, software development is as much art as science. My current job description now has nothing to do with computers but I still write software.

God talks about a similar thing that is commonly called "spiritual gifts". Something that you are given to carry out your "job" in building God's kingdom. You can find more about spiritual gifts here, here and here.

Some friends and I were talking the other day around the subject of finding out what your spiritual gift is. You can do this by buying books, googling for this subject, churches run classes to find out what your gift(s) is. Some of us do this like I approached my college career -- trial and error.

While I appreciate people striving to find their spiritual gift we had a question. Does our quest for our spiritual gift(s) limit what we do?

Let me give you a real life example. I have a friend that I worked with for around a year developing software. His college career was spent, not in computers but in philosophy. I had another co-worker who was a good software developer who's major was music. If they had let their majors control what they did, their choices of jobs and maybe even fulfillment in life would have been quite limited.

I think we have a tendency to limit ourselves with spiritual gifts as well... We get our spiritual "job description" and think that it is the ONLY think I am willing to do.

No comments: