Sunday, January 22, 2006

Sound Thoughts

I did my first weekend alone (well 2 out of 3 services anyway) in the sound booth at church. There were some twists, turns and bumps but I heard a lot of compliments from those in charge.

Some thoughts about the differences in "Worship Arts" between sound and playing.
  • On the whole, running sound is more stressful. You are always on, even between services.
  • While on, playing can be more stressful. We are to memorize our music.
  • There is a larger time commitment while playing.
  • You need to remember more while playing.
  • Musicians make some of the best sound people. They should already have an "ear" for what is going on. The technical end can be a little stressful for some however.
Which would I rather do? Play! Why? Not because I particularly enjoy being up front but it is where I feel I can participate in both corporate and personal worship of God best. I am committed, however, to serve. That means, where ever I am needed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joel, you did a great job with the sound. I love your heart man and it comes through every time you serve. No matter if you are playing or "sounding".