Sunday, February 19, 2006

I am a....

At the top of this blog is "the banner", describing what this blog is about. I think I misinterpreted what it was supposed to do but that leads to this entry...

This morning, I was listening to a message titled "aka God part 3" from LifeChurch in Okalahoma City.

Listening to the message sparked many different topics but this one stuck.

In there, the speaker asks, what is your banner?

Many, in fact maybe most of us, when asked to introduce ourselves, somewhat automatically "banner" ourselves. When asked in a work environment, it is automatically the business card version of our life.

"Hi my name is Joel, I am a software engineer".

Is that really who I am? A few years ago, in response to a book I read call Software Craftsmanship, I stopped calling my self a software engineer and when asked, told people that I write programs or "code". Many times, when asked at church to introduce myself, I respond "I sometimes run sound." or "I sometimes play bass".

I realized this morning that I have changed my banner. No longer is what I do defining who I am. In response to this thought, the banner on this blog will be changing.....

2 comments:

RC said...

It's interesting how we say we are different things to different people...

it's got to mean something...right?

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should change it to, "I am a child of God."