Thursday, November 12, 2009

Drops like Stars

Last night, I took the family to see Rob Bell speak in his Drops Like Stars book tour. Rob has an interesting way of looking at the world around us and draws on both the Bible and the experiences he and his friends have to describe how Creativity and Suffering feed each other.

While I think much (if not all?) of the audience were believers to some extent or another, the Gospel was preached.

A friend who, over the last 18 months, has gone through a few trials, joined us. I saw what was talked about speak directly to her.

At one point, Rob asked those who had been touched directly (themselves or a family member) by cancer to stand. This brought what seemed to be over half the auditorium to its feet. The point behind this is that the suffering eliminates the extra, leaving those affected looking at what is important. He suggested that someone given 6 months to live doesn't usually go "I guess I better go trim the hedges". Rather, they repair relationships and live life as fully as they can.

This will be an interesting book to read.

1 comment:

Jeanie said...

Interesting. I am not a Tim McGraw fan, but he has that song, "Live Like You Were Dying," that I think has some very genius lyrics. More and more I am thinking: simplicity. It's all so hard because we have made it that way. I know God does not want me toiling over my walk of faith like I have (or has been required of me), but knowing and enjoying Him/following Him in the walk. Simple, {sigh}.