Friday, March 07, 2008

Jesus Christ Superstar

We are quickly approaching Easter. One of the things I associate with Easter is the Broadway play "Jesus Christ Superstar". Why? Because it tells a more modern day story of the crucifiction of Christ from a viewpoint that is not Christian.

I have been thinking about this as I listen to the Gospels being read. As I listen, I hear the people around Christ treating him as a superstar.

Twice we hear about him feeding the crowds, once 5000 men (not counting women and children) and once 4000 men. You hear Christ retreating from the crowds several times. During his entry into Jerusalem, the whole city turned out to welcome him. That seems to fill the definition of superstar.

Why did the church object to to the play? Because it didn't finish the story. It stopped on what we call Good Friday, before Christ was pulled down from the cross. The best, however, was yet to come.

No comments: